We believe that church membership is an important aspect of Christianity. We believe the pattern of Scripture shows that Christians should join a local church (Matthew 18:15-17; Acts 5:12-13; 1 Timothy 5:9-12; 1 Corinthians 5:12-13; 2 Corinthians 2:6). Though often misunderstood, membership is a gift that allows a Christian to live out one’s faith in community. In a church, you experience your journey with Christ in a family that seeks to nurture and protect one another. Membership is a testimony to the unity of the gospel and makes for healthy relationships where the witness of the church is best displayed.
Membership at GBC is for those who:
- are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ
- have been baptized as believers
- are in agreement with our statement of faith and church covenant
We expect our members to live in unity with one another, to pray for our leaders, to give regularly to our Lord, to attend corporate meetings and to serve with the gifts God has graciously given. More on membership can be found in our statement of faith and our church covenant.
Becoming a member
There are three steps to becoming a member at GBC:
- Attend our membership class. In these sessions we discuss what we believe and how we operate as a church. This class meets Sundays at 9:30 a.m. during Sunday school, in November and February for three Sundays. Attending the classes does not obligate you to join.
- Once you’ve completed membership classes, complete an application and return it to the church. This form consists of questions related to any church background you might have and our “Plan to Protect” policies. You will also need to attend two classes on Plan to Protect that also run during Sunday school.
- After we receive your application, you will complete a membership interview with one of our elders. This gives us a chance to get to know you, hear how you came to Christ and for you to ask more questions you may have about us.
We receive members into our church family on Sunday mornings. We ask new members to come forward and we read our church covenant together. The elders then welcome new members and pray for them.
Once you are a member…serve
Look for ways you can immediately plug yourself in to serve at Grace Bible Church. Explore our website and see the variety of ministries that GBC is seeking to carry out. If you find something that interests you, approach the ministry leader/coordinator and volunteer. If we all do our part, no one should be overburdened.